Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sloppy Veggie Sandwiches


(A meatless and healthier version of Sloppy Joes)

1     cup chopped carrots
1     cup chopped celery
2/3  cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
2/3  cup regular brown rice
1/2  cup chopped onion
1     clove garlic, minced
2     tablespoons brown sugar
2     tablespoons prepared mustard
1/2  teaspoon salt
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (depending on taste)
1     box (32ozs) Vegetable or Chicken broth
1    15 ounce can Tomato sauce
2    tablespoons apple cider vinegar
8    Whole wheat buns or french rolls - split and toasted

PREP Time - 30 minutes
COOK Time - High 3 1/2 - 4 hours (DO NOT cook on low)
MAKES - 8 servings
Slow Cooker size - 3 1/2 to 4 quart

1.  In slow cooker, combine carrots, celery, dry lentils, uncooked brown rice, onion, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, salt, and red pepper. Stir in broth

2.  Cover; cook on high heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until rice and lentils are done. Stir in tomato sauce and vinegar; cover and cook 30 minutes more.

3.  Spoon mixture on toasted buns or rolls

Nutritional Info:
1 serving - 261 calories; 4g total fat (1g saturated fat) 0mg cholesterol; 1,036mg sodium; 50g carbs, 8g fiber, 11g protein.

Personal Notes:
I've found this to be a little dry, so I serve with a little extra sauce on the side. My kids like adding BBQ sauce to theirs.
The first time I served this, I didn't tell my family it was meatless. I told them we were having Sloppy Joe's and that I was trying a new recipe for it. They all enjoyed it and said it was heavy and very satisfying. My husband was very surprised to find out that it was meatless. He now requests it. It's very rare now, that I make sloppy joes with meat.

Enjoy!

1 comment: